Campaign Manager for Ilhan for Congress
Ilhan Omar for Congress is seeking a seasoned campaigner, experienced manager, and creative strategist to serve as the Campaign Manager for her reelection campaign to represent Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District.
About Ilhan Omar
Rep. Ilhan Omar represents Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives, which includes Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs. Rep. Omar’s service is built around cogovernance with the 5th District, including monthly town halls, routine constituent service resource fairs and a brand new district office. She has brought over $40 million to the district in the form of community projects—including a brand new affordable housing facility for veterans in Robbinsdale. As a leader of the House Budget Committee and Progressive Caucus, she is helping to lead the fight for the progressive values Minnesotans sent me to advocate for—whether it’s fighting to codify Roe v. Wade into law, pushing for historic climate legislation, addressing the opioid crisis or fighting for an assault weapons ban.
An experienced Twin Cities policy analyst, organizer, public speaker and advocate, Rep. Omar was sworn into office in January 2019, making her the first African refugee to become a Member of Congress, the first woman of color to represent Minnesota, and one of the first two Muslim-American women elected to Congress.
The Campaign Manager will be responsible for designing and overseeing the campaign strategy, partnering with the candidate on her schedule and priorities, and managing a skilled team of staff, advisors, consultants, and volunteers to win the election.
- Management, HR, and Compliance: You will oversee all aspects of the campaign including day-to-day operations, the hiring and management of staff and consultants, the coordination and oversight of departments including finance, digital, communications, field, and operations and compliance. You will be responsible for working with the candidate to build a strong culture on the campaign.
- Candidate Management: You will be responsible for coordinating the candidate’s schedule and priorities and ensuring there is clear communication and coordination between the candidate and campaign teams.
- Budget and Finance: In partnership with the Finance Director, you will oversee the development of the campaign budget and oversee all decisions on expenditures.
- Campaign Plan: In consultation with staff, consultants, and advisors, you will be responsible for developing a winning campaign plan including a large-scale field and organizing plan. You will be responsible for implementing the plan, including evaluation and revisions as necessary.
- Political Organizing: As part of the campaign plan, you will oversee the political strategy of the campaign, including securing endorsements from individuals and organizations and effectively deploying surrogates. You will also be responsible for completing and submitting all political endorsement questionnaires.
- Partnerships: There are campaign partners, such as Justice Democrats, surrogates, and endorsers that will provide resources to the campaign. These resources could include financial support, consulting, and field support. You will oversee the successful management of these relationships and ensure the campaign is maximizing the support of all partners.
Ideal Experience, Skills, and Characteristics
- At least two cycles of campaign experience, ideally with one cycle serving in a manager or director role and working directly with a candidate.
- Supervisory experience, including managing staff, candidates, or teams/coalitions.
- Experience designing and managing a campaign plan and budget, including setting, monitoring, achieving strategic and measurable goals
- Experience designing and implementing a medium to large scale field plan including canvassing. This should include experience training and motivating staff and volunteers to meet key metrics to successfully execute the larger plan.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive values and policy priorities
- Experience with community organizing and movement building
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, especially conflict resolution, listening, and ability to communicate professionally and empathetically
- Skilled facilitator who can lead meetings, strategic planning, and other processes
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to not only stay organized yourself but also to help ensure others are organized within and across departments and strategies
- Comfort and ability to seek support and resources from others, including receiving and incorporating feedback
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Critical and creative thinking skills
- Self-starter with great time management, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Entrepreneurial and resourceful organizer who can build new systems and strategies from the ground up
- Experience using GoogleSuite, NGPVAN
- Familiarity with election compliance law
- Must have a driver license and access to reliable transportation
- Willingness to work irregular hours and weekends
Compensation and Benefits Package
The monthly salary range for the Campaign Manager is $8,000-$9,500, commensurate with experience. The campaign will provide employer-sponsored health insurance.