Communications Director for Ilhan Omar for Congress
Ilhan for Congress is seeking a strong communicator and creative strategist to serve as the Communications Director for her reelection campaign to represent Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District.
About Ilhan Omar
Rep. Ilhan Omar represents Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives, which includes Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs. Rep. Omar’s service is built around cogovernance with the 5th District, including monthly town halls, routine constituent service resource fairs and a brand new district office. She has brought over $40 million to the district in the form of community projects—including a brand new affordable housing facility for veterans in Robbinsdale. As a leader of the House Budget Committee and Progressive Caucus, she is helping to lead the fight for the progressive values Minnesotans sent me to advocate for—whether it’s fighting to codify Roe v. Wade into law, pushing for historic climate legislation, addressing the opioid crisis or fighting for an assault weapons ban.
An experienced Twin Cities policy analyst, organizer, public speaker and advocate, Rep. Omar was sworn into office in January 2019, making her the first African refugee to become a Member of Congress, the first woman of color to represent Minnesota, and one of the first two Muslim-American women elected to Congress.
The Communications Director will be responsible for designing, overseeing, and implementing the campaign’s communications and digital strategy and partnering with a skilled team of staff, advisors, consultants, and volunteers to win the election.
- Develop a communications strategy for the campaign in collaboration with the campaign staff and key partners
- Generate local community and media interest in the campaign through email outreach, targeted pitch calls, and press conferences
- Draft and distribute local press releases, statements, advisories as well as preparing talking points for public appearances.
- Draft campaign VAN emails
- Manage and update the candidate’s social media accounts and campaign website on a daily basis
- Monitor local press coverage and identify opportunities to cultivate earned media opportunities and garner media coverage for the campaign. Where needed, research local issues to develop messaging recommendations
- Staff the candidate in the district for interviews and media appearances
- Distribute daily clips and other news stories of interest internally
- Develop, draft, edit and distribute campaign communications materials, such as sample letters to editors, Op Eds and other materials as necessary and work with volunteers to place LTEs, etc.
- Produce regular reports on digital success metrics and other background materials for internal use
Ideal Experience, Skills, and Characteristics
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, as well as an attention to detail
- The ability to assess the strategic implications of news stories and public statements for the campaign
- Experience drafting digital content and managing social media accounts
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive values and policy priorities
- Experience with community or electoral organizing and movement building
- Experience working with a political candidate or principal
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, listening, and ability to communicate professionally and empathetically with campaign staff, members of the press, and the general public
- Comfort and ability to seek support and resources from others, including receiving and incorporating feedback
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Critical and creative thinking skills
- Self-starter with great time management, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Entrepreneurial and resourceful organizer who can build new systems and strategies from the ground up
- Experience using GoogleSuite
- Willingness to work irregular hours and weekends
Compensation and Benefits Package
The monthly salary range for the Communications Director is $5,500-$6,500, commensurate with experience. The campaign will provide employer-sponsored health insurance.